article of the week
Kelly recognizes that part of the reason his students struggle with reading is because they lack prior knowledge and background. They can decode the words, but the words remain meaningless without a foundation of knowledge. To help build his students’ prior knowledge, he assigns them an Article of the Week every Monday morning.
Below you will find the articles Kelly assigned this year (2017-2018) to his students. The most recent post is at the top of the list. Please note, all articles are subject to the copyright protections stipulated by the original source.
- "You Have Almost Certainly Been Hacked" TheWeek.com
- Two Opinion Pieces on the Gun Control Debate from TheWeek.com
- "What Every American Needs to Know about Puerto Rico's Hurricane Disaster" by Brian Resnick and Eliza Barclay for Vox.com
- Two Articles Explaining the NFL Player Protests During the National Anthem from CNN.com and FoxNews.com
- "Sitting Too Long Can Kill You, Even If You Exercise" by Susan Scutti for CNN.com
- "5 Reasons Why People Share Fake Photos During Natural Disasters" by A.J. Willingham for CNN.com
- "Trump Prepares to End DACA" by Priscilla Alvarez (an excerpt) for The Atlantic
- "Sacrificing Sleep? This Is What It Will Do to Your Health" by Sandee Lamott for CNN.com
- "Attention Students: Put Your Laptops Away" NPR.com
- "The Great Solar Eclipse of 2017" TheWeek.com