article of the week
Kelly recognizes that part of the reason his students struggle with reading is because they lack prior knowledge and background. They can decode the words, but the words remain meaningless without a foundation of knowledge. To help build his students’ prior knowledge, he assigns them an Article of the Week every Monday morning.
Below you will find the articles Kelly assigned this year (2016-2017) to his students. The most recent post is at the top of the list. Please note, all articles are subject to the copyright protections stipulated by the original source.
- "How Do We Respond to Threats after Our Endorsement? This Is How" by Mi-Ai Parrish for The Arizona Republic
- "US Officially Accuses Russia of Hacking DNC and Interfering with Election" by Spencer Ackerman and Sam Thielman for The Guardian.com
- "World's First Baby Born from New Procedure Using DNA of Three People" by Ian Sample for TheGuardian.com
- "A Single Migration from Africa Populated the World, Studies Find" by Carl Zimmer for NYTimes.com
- "After Asteroid Hit, A Giant Cloud of Smoke Led to Dinosaurs' Demise, Study Says" by Megan Daley for the Los Angeles Times
- "Simple Rules for Healthy Eating" by Aaron E. Carroll for The New York Times
- "In the 'Land of the Free,' Are You Free to Sit Out the National Anthem?" by Jaweed Kaleem for the Los Angeles Times
- "Deported Mothers Make New Lives in Tijuana" by Tatiana Sanchez for The San Diego Union-Tribune
- "Should We Abandon Louisiana?" by Zack Kopplin for Slate.com
- "Nerd Alert: Reading Is Good for Your Health" by Jen Christensen for CNN.com, or "Phone Charger Sales Are Surging Because of Pokémon Go" Time.com